|US plans death camp
May 26, 2003
THE US has floated plans to turn Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, with its
own death row and execution chamber.
Prisoners would be tried, convicted and executed without leaving its
boundaries, without a jury and without right of appeal, The Mail on Sunday
newspaper reported yesterday.
The plans were revealed by Major-General Geoffrey Miller, who is in charge
of 680 suspects from 43 countries, including two Australians.
The suspects have been held at Camp Delta on Cuba without charge for 18
General Miller said building a death row was one plan. Another was to have a
permanent jail, with possibly an execution chamber.
The Mail on Sunday reported the move is seen as logical by the US, which has
been attacked worldwide for breaching the Geneva Convention on prisoners of
war since it established the camp at a naval base to hold alleged terrorists
But it has horrified human rights groups and lawyers representing detainees.
They see it as the clearest indication America has no intention of falling
in line with internationally recognised justice.
The US has already said detainees would be tried by tribunals, without
juries or appeals to a higher court. Detainees will be allowed only US
British activist Stephen Jakobi, of Fair Trials Abroad, said: "The US is
kicking and screaming against any pressure to conform with British or any
other kind of international justice."
American law professor Jonathan Turley, who has led US civil rights group
protests against the military tribunals planned to hear cases at Guantanamo
Bay, said: "It is not surprising the authorities are building a death row
because they have said they plan to try capital cases before these
"This camp was created to execute people. The administration has no interest
in long-term prison sentences for people it regards as hard-core
Britain admitted it had been kept in the dark about the plans.
A Downing St spokesman said: "The US Government is well aware of the British
Government's position on the death penalty."